Getting to and from the Raid Pyrenean
Start & End Points
Hotel Campanile, 102 Route de Behobie, 64700 Hendaye. France. Tel: 0033 (0)5 59 48 06 48
Hotel La Dorade , Seafront, Cerbere. France. Tel: 0033 (0)4 68 88 41 93Airport Transfers
We offer included airport transfers from Biarritz airport at the start and back to Perpignan or Carcassonne airport at the end of the Raid (depending which trip you are on) – see the trip Essential Information pdf for all the details. If these airports / flights are inconvenient then you might consider our Toulouse Transfer Package (below).
Toulouse Transfer Package: (£75 supplement payable, allocation by 1st come, 1st served)
Offered to widen your choices regarding flights for this holiday. Please check availability with us BEFORE booking your flights. Details on the Essential Information pdf above.
Possible Toulouse Airport Hotels There are lots of different hotels that offer a free airport shuttle for people and bikes, have a look at Google Maps. The following are just a selection:
- Radisson Blu Hotel, 2 Rue Dieudonne Costes, 31700 BLAGNAC
- Pullman Toulouse Airport , 2 Avenue Didier Daurat, 31700 BLAGNAC
- Holiday Inn , 1 Porte du Bicentenaire de la Revolution Francaise, 31700 BLAGNAC
- Holiday Inn Express , 39 Avenue General de Gaulle, 31700 BLAGNAC
For clients flying from far flung destinations you might want to look at travel:
Via London: Fly transcontinental in / out of London (Gatwick/Heathrow or Stansted) and meet up with one of the ‘group flights’ to take advantage of our airport transfers. For information on journey time times, how to book tickets and other general information on travel in London have a look at londontoolkit.com .
Via Barcelona: Fly transcontinental in / out of Barcelona which has connecting flights to San Sebastian Airport (in Irun and 10 mins taxi ride from our hotel) with Air Nostrum or Vueling. Alternatively there are direct trains from Barcelona Sants station to Irun (6 hrs). Depending on when you arrive, we may be able to pick you up, otherwise it is a 10 mins taxi to the Hotel. At the end of the trip you would need to travel to Barcelona by train from Cerbere / Portbou (2 hrs 30 mins) – see below for more information on this.
Via Paris: Fly transcontinental in / out of Paris. Most international flights land in Paris CDG. If you needed to get to Paris Orly airport, then there is shuttle bus between that takes about 1 hr. Full information on this transfer can be found on the Paris.net website. Air France charge 40 Euros for bike carriage to / from another European country and 20 Euros for flights within France. Internal flights are available from CDG & Orly to Toulouse with EJ and Air France. You can then take advantage of our Toulouse Transfer Package . If you flights arrives in Toulouse a long time before or later than our transfers then you easily get to Hendaye independently by train (although it takes a long time so you would be better taking the train direct from Paris.
There are a few Air France flights per day direct from Paris Orly to Biarritz and Perpignan to Paris Orly.
Travel by Train
We recommend that you look at The Man in Seat Sixty-One , which is full of advice and links about rail travel. Rail Europe have produced an excellent interactive map of all the Rail links in Europe, but it is currently not easy to find timetables on their website. For timetable information we suggest BD Rail website (German Rail network in English) – it is currently not possible to purchase tickets from their website, but you can give them a ring once you have worked out which train you want to travel on! Alternatively, tickets can be purchased by ringing Rail Europe on 08708 371 371 (UK number)
NB: – Timetables and ticket purchases are only available 3 months before travel- If you buy your tickets exactly 3 months before travel you can get some good deals so it is worth being organised.
Travel from Hendaye train station to Start The Railway station in Hendaye is 1.5kms from the hotel (taxis are available). We have found TAXI XABI 0609304090 to be very reliable (he has an 8 seater taxi so can take 4 people and 4 bikes). Email him on firstname.lastname@example.org .
Travel from End hotel to Cerbere train station At the end of the Raid we are normally able to give you a lift to the station in Cerbere on the Saturday afternoon or early on the Sunday Morning (before 0800) otherwise taxis are available (5 mins journey).
Eurostar This is actually a very good option and avoids any risk of your bike being damaged by airport baggage handlers (you will however need to put it in a bag or box). The total journey is about 12￼￼￼￼hrs, but some people chose to extend it with a night in Paris. – Take the Eurostar from London St Pancras International to Paris (Gare de Nord) or Lille International (better with a bike). – Connect with daytime or sleeper trains from Paris or Lille to Hendaye / from Cerbere. From / to Paris Have a look at the Paris Rail network map for how to get about in Paris by train / underground. Alternatively there are lots of Taxi’s. –
Paris Montparnasse to Hendaye – There are several direct trains per day which take about 6 hrs. – On arrival in Hendaye, we may be able to pick you up (if you arrange it in advance), otherwise there are normally lots of Taxi’s (see below). – Cerbere to Paris Gare de Lyon – We will normally be able to give you a lift to the station in Cerbere. From here it is a 6 journey changing in either Perpignan or Montpellier to Paris.
From / to Lille International – There are daytime and overnight sleeper trains from Lille to Hendaye and Cerbere to Lille taking from 8 to 12 hrs. – On arrival in Hendaye, we may be able to pick you up (if you arrange it in advance), otherwise there are normally lots of Taxi’s (see below). – At the end of the Raid we will normally be able to give you a lift to the station in Cerbere. From here it is a 6 journey changing in either Perpignan or Montpellier to Paris.
On the train with a bike
The French rail network (SNCF) are trying to promote travel with a bike and have put together an excellent website – VeloSNCF ( external site in French but still useful!. Basically if your bike is in a bag or box it is fine to take on a train. If it is simply as a bike, then you normally need to book it a place and pay a nominal charge – have a look at the links on the VeloSNCF. If you are traveling from the UK with a bike, try to change trains in Lille as opposed to Paris (in Lille you only need to change platforms, in Paris you normally need to take a short underground journey).
Despite the logistical challenge of driving for a ‘point to point holiday’, driving from the UK can be a great way of extending your holiday and saving the hassle of packing up your bike, plus ensuring its safe arrival. You have 3 options:
1) Drive to Toulouse Airport. Leave your car in a secure car park (P5 or P6 cost about 30 euros for a week). You can then hock up with our Toulouse Airport Transfers . We can transport assembled bikes.
2) Drive to Cerbere. There is lots of free parking in the town or at the railway station. You can then take the train to the start. Please make sure that you arrive before 1800 on Day 1 of your holiday.
3) Drive to Hendaye. The hotel is happy for you to leave your car in their car park for the week. At the end of the Raid you will need to take the train back to the start. See the sections on how to get from Cerbere to Toulouse and Toulouse to Hendaye independently as well as our general section on train travel .
Travelling independently of our airport transfers
Biarritz Airport: In addition to the Ryan Air flight from Stagnated there are regular flights to Biarritz from Paris Orly with Air France and daily flights from Geneva with Easy Jet. If you arrive in Biarritz before our group transfer then you can wait or take a taxi to the start hotel in Hendaye. Try TAXI XABI (0033 609304090), email email@example.com for a reliable service that knows our company, and will take bikes (8 seater taxi). The journey takes 30 mins and costs about 60 Euros. Alternatively there are normally lots of taxi’s waiting at the airport.
If you arrive the day before…(recommended if you will be recovering from jet lag) You have the option of staying in the vibrant cosmopolitan town of town of Biarritz and then meeting our transfer at Biarritz airport, take a taxi directly to the Hotel Campanile in Hendaye. Hendaye also offers a good selection of hotels to suit all budgets. Our leaders and vehicles do not get the the Atlantic coast until about 14:00 on the start day of your holiday. We use the hotel Campanile in Hendaye (on the edge of town) for the first night of the Raid (can be booked on line using credit card) which works well for us but would not bevour first recommendation of where you should book an additional night, or at least if you are staying in the Campanile for your extra night, we recommend eating out (Spain is a 10 min walk) so as to avoid eating 2 very similar meals 2 nights in a row. There are lots of hotels on the beach front / harbour area in Hendaye which may be better suited for your additional night – we would be able to come and pick you / your bags up between 14:00 and 16:00 (exact time to be confirmed the week before).
Toulouse Airport (a train journey of 4 – 5hours costing approx29 – 40 Euros 1 way)
- Take the Navette (shuttle bus) that leaves from just outside the arrival hall of the Airport to the railway station in Toulouse. The bus departs every 20 mins and takes 20 mins. You pay for your ticket in the booth opposite the bus stop (5 Euros). The railway station (Toulouse Matabiau) is the final stop.
- Take the train from Toulouse to Hendaye via Bayonne (there are a couple of direct trains but not many). Please see the section on train travel for details of where to find timetables and how to purchase tickets. San Sebastian Airport: is served by a few regional flights to Madrid and Barcelona. It is a 10 mins Taxi to our start hotel in Hendaye. Bordeaux Airport: There are Easy Jet flights from London Gatwick to Bordeaux. From here you could get a taxi to the start hotel at Hendaye at a cost for 5 cyclists and their bikes of approx. €360, which makes it just about feasible for a group of 5. @ the End
Perpignan Airport: There are regular Air France flights to Paris Orly and occasional flights with FlyBe to Birmingham and Southampton. It is an easy journey from Cerbere to Perpignan airport independently:
- We are normally able to give you a lift to the station in Cerbere on the Saturday afternoon of day 5 or early on the morning of day 6 (before 0800)
- There is a direct rail links from Cerbere (or other coastal towns) to Perpignan. The journey from Cerbere takes approximately 1 hour and departs every hour.
- There are then regular shuttle busses to the Airport.
Girona (Barcelona) Airport: There are lots of flights from Girona to the UK and other parts of Europe with Ryan Air. If you would prefer to fly home from Girona then it is a very easy journey: – We are normally able to give you a lift to the station in Cerbere or Portbou (Spanish border town) on the afternoon of day 5 or early on the morning of day 6 (before 08:00) otherwise taxis are available (5 min journey).
- From here there are regular trains (hourly) to Girona that take about 1hr 30 mins. Please see the section on train travel for details of where to find timetables and how to purchase tickets.
- There are then regular shuttle busses to the Airport from the train station in Girona If you flight is early in the morning then staying the night before in the Hotel Vilobi at Girona airport is a good option.
Barcelona Airport: This is a major airport with links to most UK regional airports and connections around the world. – We are normally able to give you a lift to the station in Cerbere or Portbou (spanish border town) on the afternoon of day 5 or early on the morning of day 6 (before 08:00) otherwise taxis are available (5 mins journey).
- Take the train to Barcelona Sants (Estacio Sants). Some trains are direct, but most require a change at Portbou (Spanish/French border town). The journey takes from 2hrs 15mins to 4hrs and costs between 11 and 29 Euros 1 way. Please see the section on train travel for details of where to find timetables and how to purchase tickets.
- From Barcelona Sants there are then direct trains (Line C2) every 30 mins to the Airport at 9 and 39 mins past the hour and the journey takes 18 mins. The time table for you day of travel can be confirmed on the RENFE website Toulouse Airport: Some flights depart earlier than can get you back to the airport so you may want to travel the night before and spend a night in a hotel in Toulouse. It is fairly easy journey, as follows:
- We are normally able to give you a lift to the station in Cerbere or Portbou (Spanish border town) on the afternoon of day 5 or early on the morning of day 6 (before 08:00) otherwise taxis are available (5 mins journey).
- Take the train from Cerbere to Toulouse Matabiau, either direct or via Narbonne. Journey takes 2hrs 45mins – 3hrs 15 mins and costs 24 – 33 Euros 1 way. Please see the section on train travel for details of where to find timetables and how to purchase tickets.
- Take the Navette airport (shuttle bus) to Toulouse Airport. The bus leaves from the Gare Routiere (bus station) which is next door to Toulouse train station (exit station and turn R). A bus departs every 20 mins and the journey takes 20mins. Pay on the bus (cost 5 Euros). The bus will leave you at Arrivals. ￼