In particular, this Policy details our collection, use and disclosure of personal and non personal data when you register for our newsletter, make an enquiry, or book a holiday, as well as using our website or Social Media Services.
Scope & Application
Anyone who processes personal information must comply with eight principles of the Data Protection Act, which make sure that personal information is:
- fairly and lawfully processed;
- processed for limited purposes;
- adequate, relevant and not excessive;
- accurate and up to date;
- not kept for longer than is necessary;
- processed in line with your rights;
- secure; and
- not transferred to other countries without adequate protection.
‘Personal data’ refers to any information that identifies you as a specific individual, such as full name, email address, newsletter choices etc
The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a new comprehensive data protection law, taking effect on 25.5.18 that updates existing EU laws to strengthen the protection of “personal data” in light of rapid technological developments, the increasingly global nature of business and more complex international flows of personal data. The GDPR replaces the current patchwork of national data protection laws with a single set of rules, directly enforceable in each EU member state.
- Regarding the section entitled “Data Retention”: We keep your Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include (i) for as long as we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Services to you; (ii) as required by a legal obligation to which we are subject; or (iii) as advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard of applicable statutes of limitations, litigation, or regulatory investigations).
- You may lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority competent for your country or region.
- This Policy only covers data we collect, not any other data collection practices of an affiliate or third party, including any third-party operators of web pages to which the Site links.
Collection of Information
Information you provide us:
You provide different information to us in order for Marmot Tours Ltd to provide our services, products and features to you.
- Link Account: If you book a holiday with us, you will be asked to provide us with your name, address, email address, telephone number, gender, date of birth, interests, cycling experience, dietary requirements and height. You will be asked to create an account on The Link, our online booking portal.
- Holiday Enquiry via Customer Services: You may also be asked to provide information by email or phone if you contact the Marmot Tours Ltd office with an enquiry.
- Newsletter: If you register to receive our newsletter, you will be asked for your name, email address, mailing address, phone number and other information
- Survey: You may be asked for personal information such as name and email address when you complete a survey or competition.
- Merchandise: If you order a product, such as a trip souvenir, from us, or one of our business partners, you may be asked for your name, address, email address and telephone number.
- Gifts: If you are ordering a product as a gift for another person (such as a holiday voucher), you may be asked for that person’s name, postal address, and phone number in order to enable us to deliver the gift to the recipient.
Sensitive information: we do not ask you to send us or disclose any sensitive personal information relating to racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, religion or other beliefs, criminal background or trade union membership.
However we do ask you to disclose your Date of Birth, your height (should you request to hire a bike), and any dietary information that enables us to ensure your requirements are met during a Marmot Tours holiday. You are under no obligation to provide this information however in some cases we are not able to guarantee to provide you with a suitably personalized service without this information.
Information we collect automatically:
Through our website we also collect information from your computer or mobile device and actions you have taken on the site including:
- Basic user informationabout you that includes your IP address (Internet Protocol address) which identifies the computer or service provider that you use to access our services, or information about your browser type, and other software/hardware information. Also, ISP’s domain, the time you accessed our website and the pages within our website that you visit.
You have the choice to set your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. (Each browser is different, so check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.) You can manage the use of Flash technologies, with the Flash management tools available at Adobe’s website, see http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html . It is up to you whether to allow us to send you cookies. Please note that by blocking any or all cookies you may not have access to certain features, content or personalization available through the Services.
- Mobile Devices: If you access our Services through a mobile or other device, we may collect your mobile device identifier, geo-location data or other transactional information for that device.
- Social Media Services: If you access or log into our Service through a social media service, the information we collect may also include your user ID and or / user name, associated with that social media service, any information or content that you have permitted them to share with us (like your profile picture, email address) and any information you have made public in connection with that Social Media Service.
- Web beacons and other tracking technologies. We may use other tracking tools, including so-called “pixel tags,” “web beacons,” “web bugs,” “clear GIFs,” etc. (collectively “Web Beacons”) to collect user activity information about your activities on the Services. Like Cookies, Web Beacons enable us to track pages and content (including ads) accessed and viewed by users. Also, when we send HTML-formatted (as opposed to plain text) emails to you, Web Beacons may be embedded in such emails to allow us to monitor readership levels so that we can identify trends and individual usage to provide our audiences with more relevant content or offers. Web Beacons in emails may recognize activities such as when an email was opened, how many times an email was forwarded, which links in the email were clicked on, etc. Web Beacons cannot be declined when delivered via a regular web page. However, Web Beacons can be refused when delivered via email. If you do not wish to receive Web Beacons via email, you will need to disable HTML images or refuse HTML (select Text only) emails via your email software.
- Information Contained in User Content:The Link allows users to post and transmit messages, comments, screen names and other materials. You should be careful what personal information you choose to make public. Within your Link Account profile, you have the option to choose whether to have an ‘Open’ or ‘Closed’ profile (to the rest of the Marmot Link Community).
- Please note we will not collect or store any of your passwords or other highly sensitive data.
What will we do with this information?
Marmot Tours uses information that we collect from and about you, for a variety of business purposes, as follows:
- To complete your purchase with us.
- To look after your holiday arrangements, send you notifications and communicate with you generally.
- To communicate with you about your holidayor service that we are providing to you (e.g. bike hire, merchandise purchase etc)
- In managing your holiday, we may have to disclose some of your information to the providers of the services making up your arrangements (such as hotels, who could be located outside the UK / EEA). We may also have to disclose some information to third parties in relation to customer services, credit card processing or other services.
- To offer you branded, co branded or other services and to deliver relevant advertising and marketing. We may pass your details to other parties who offer goods or services which we feel may be of interest to you. If you do not wish to have your details passed on in this way, you may ask us in writing (including email) not to do so
- To allow social sharing functionality– we may share your user name, picture and likes. By logging in with or connecting with us via a Social Media Service, you are providing your consent to us to share information we collect from and about you with the social media service provider, other users and your friends. If you do not want your personal information shared in this way, please do not connect your social media service account with your account and do not participate in social sharing on Services;
- To perform business analysisor for other purposes to improve the quality of our business, the Services, and the products and services we offer
- Asset Management:We may need to disclose our customer database (including any personal information relating to you) to a third party who acquires or attempts to acquire all or substantially all of the asset / stock in our company or our website.
- Data Processing and Support in Business Functions: We may also disclose information to organisations who act as data processors on our behalf, or to other organisations that perform business functions on our behalf, some of who are outside the UK / EEA. These functions include (but are not limited to) administration providing services, customer care, business management and operation, risk assessment, security and crime prevention / detection, research and analysis, marketing, monitoring, measuring and assessing customer purchasing preferences and trends, dispute resolution, credit checking and debt collection.
- Third party sites: we may from time to time disclose to third parties impersonal information on our website’s traffic profile. For example, internet advertising companies may require this data to help us better target advertisements on our website and / or other websites. Please note that our website provides links to products and services offered by other companies; the company’s website that you link to will be able to determine that you linked from our website;
Other important information
- Non-Personal Data: When information we collect is anonymized or otherwise does not identify you, we may use that information for any purpose or share it with third parties, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
- Location of Data: Marmot Tours Ltd is based in the UK. If you are a user located outside of the UK, you understand and consent to having any personal information processed in the UK, or in any other country in which we have facilities or in which we engage service providers. UK Data Protection laws may not be the same as those in your jurisdiction.
Even after you cancel your account, or if you ask us to delete your personal information, copies of some information from your account may remain viewable in some circumstances where, for example, you have shared information with social media or other services. Because of the nature of caching technology, your account may not be instantly inaccessible to others. We may also retain backup information related to your account on our servers for some time after cancellation or your request for deletion, for fraud detection or to comply with applicable law or our internal security or recordkeeping policies. It may not always be possible to completely remove or delete all of your information due to technical constraints or, contractual, financial or legal requirements.
- Protecting your Information:We take website security very seriously and we are committed to safeguarding your personal information. We take a number of administrative and technical steps to ensure the security of the information you provide to us.
Opt out policy – What can I do?
If you would like to access, review, correct, update, suppress, delete or otherwise limit our use of your personal information you have previously provided directly to us, you may contact us and we will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
- We are meeting the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with this, you may ask us for a copy of the information we hold about you and to correct any inaccuracies in your information. We aim to respond to you within 21 days from the date we receive your request.
- If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails and our monthly email newsletter, from us, on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out of receiving these emails be clicking “Unsubscribe” or “Update my Preferences” at the bottom of any marketing email you receive by sending a request to [email protected]
- If you would prefer to keep your profile anonymous on The Link, you are able to view and adjust your personal details, and the visibility of your profile to the Marmot Tours community.
- From time to time we may contact you with information about special offers, brochures, new products, forthcoming events or competitions. If you do not wish to receive such information, you may ask us in writing (including email) not to receive it.
- If you continue to receive our communications in error after expressing an opt-out preference, please let us know so that we can investigate the situation.
- You are also entitled to choose not to provide us with some of the information we request. However, as a result this may mean we are unable to complete some of your holiday arrangements.
Updates & Changes